The Tower was designed to take the massive peal of 6 bells which had caused the previous tower to crack. The lead covered cupola, the pinnacles and the pretty parapet were all innovations of this rebuilding. The angle buttresses go up in steps, diminishing in size towards the top. The buttresses belonging to the former tower had black knapped flints in square panels, whereas the replacement buttresses used more cut stone, in this way we can detect the surviving part of the tower on the south side.
The Tower was largely rebuilt in 1864-65 (at a cost of about £1,200) when Colonel Mason paid half the cost, he was enlarging Necton Hall about the same time (unfortunately Necton Hall was demolished in 1989).